Read Interviews With
|CHRIS BRAIDE - The Art Of Production|
|Written by Administrator|
|Monday, 18 April 2016 13:44|
1. Hello Chris, can you please introduce yourself to our readers?
HI MY NAME IS CHRISTOPHER ALTHOUGH PEOPLE TEND TO CALL ME CHRIS. I'M A SINGER, WRITER AND PRODUCER AND I PLAY MOST OF THE INSTRUMENTS ON MY RECORDS.
2. Do you prefer being a band member or an outsider writer?
I FEEL LIKE I'M TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE MOST OF THE TIME. I STARTED LIFE AS A RECORDING ARTIST BUT ENDED UP PRODUCING AND WRITING FOR OTHERS. I LOVE BOTH EQUALLY. I LOVE BEING UP ON STAGE PERFORMING LIVE BUT I ALSO ADORE THE STUDIO AND ALL THAT IT CAN YEILD.
3. How beneficial or not is for you to work as a hired gun? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
I WOULDNT SAY IM A HIRED GUN, I FIND THE PEOPLE I WANT TO WORK WITH SO I HAVE QUITE A BIT OF CONTROL OVER WHAT RECORDS I WORK ON. ADVANTAGES - IF I WORK ON A RECORD AND IT SELLS 6 MILLION COPIES I MAKE SOME MONEY. DISADVANTAGES - THEY DON'T ALL SELL 6 MILLION COPIES.
4. You have collaborated with many successful artists; Do you meet them in person or just record your material in the studio?
I'VE MET EVERYONE IN PERSON BUT SOMETIMES I SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN POST PRODUCTION ALONE OR WITH AN ENGINEER FINISHING STUFF OFF
5. What do you remember of your participation at the band Producers?
IT WAS FUN, BUT IT WAS SLIGHTLY UNREALISTIC THEIR EXPECTATIONS. I THINK SOME MEMBERS THOUGHT WE'D BE THE NEXT LED ZEPPELIN. I HAD A CAREER THAT WAS SUCCESSFUL AND TRYING TO CONVINCE THEM THAT WORKING WITH BEYONCE WAS MORE BENEFICIAL FOR ME THAN PLAYING THE HALF MOON IN PUTNEY WAS TOUGH. WE HAD SOME GREAT TIMES THOUGH AND ASH AND MYSELF ARE STILL FIRM FRIENDS AND RECENTLY FORMED THIS OCEANIC FEELING TOGETHER, I WORKED WITH TREVOR AND LOL IN DECEMBER LAST YEAR AND I SPEAK TO STEVE QUITE A BIT OVER EMAIL.
6. Why did you leave the band?
I LEFT THE BAND BECAUSE I MOVED TO AMERICA. IF I'D STAYED WED ALL STILL BE PLAYING TOGETHER. IT WAS TOUGH TO LEAVE. I LOVED IT AND WE HAD FUN.
7. In 1993 you recorded your first solo album, what do you remember of this era?
I REMEMBER BEING WITH MICK HUCKNALL IN ITALY FOR 6 WEEKS AND ENJOYING MAKING THE ALBUM. MICK WAS A COMPLEX SOUL BUT I HAVE A REAL AFFECTION FOR HIM AND THOSE TIMES.
8. How do you view the current business aspects of the music industry? Which is the aspect that has the best market share?
I LOVE THAT VINYL IS BACK STRONGER THAN EVER, LIVE IS THRIVING AND STREAMING IS BETTER THAN STEALING SO IT'S ALL GOOD. IM MAKING A GOOD LIVING SO THAT'S ALL I CARE ABOUT. I STILL BUY RECORDS AND IF I'D HAD SPOTIFY WHEN I WAS 15 ID HAVE BEEN IN HEAVEN AND LISTENED TO EVEN MORE MUSIC THAN I DID. VINYL AND DIGITAL IS THE PERFECT MARRIAGE FOR ME. I HAVE THE 12 INCH ARTEFACT BUT I ALSO HAVE ACCESS TO THE DIGITAL WHEREVER I AM IN THE WORLD AND DON'T HAVE TO CARRY A SACK FULL OF CD'S.
9. You have worked with many known artists, can you confirm or deny the several stories about the lip syncing?
WHO CARES ABOUT LIP SYNCING? THAT'S REAL SNOBBERY. I LOVED TOP OF THE POPS IN THE 80'S WHEN EVERYONE MIMED - IT HAD A FABULOUS KITCH ELEMENT TO IT. WHEN THE BBC CHANGED THEIR POLICY AND MADE IT COMPULSORY FOR THE ARTISTS TO SING LIVE IT TURNED INTO A WORTHY PILE OF CRAP. I DO NO EVER WANT TO SEE A POP STAR WHOS RECORD HAS TAKEN AN AGE TO CRAFT THEN GO ON TV AT 9 IN THE MORNING AND TRY AND DO SOME QUASI HEART FELT PERFORMANCE. JUST MIME AND LOOK GREAT FOR GOD'S SAKE. ENOUGH OF THE WORTHINESS PEOPLE.
10. What is the best advice that you would give to a session musician, on business level?
WORK HARDER THAN EVERYONE ELSE. LEE POMEROY IS IN ABOUT 5 DIFFERENT BANDS AND HE NEVER STOPS. HOW DOES HE GET THE GIGS OVER EVERYONE ELSE? BECAUSE HE IS FULL OF PASSION AND HAS NO EGO. LOSE THE EGO. NOBODY WANTS IT AROUND THEM.
|Last Updated on Monday, 18 April 2016 14:28|
Suggested by SKYLIGHT